Knives and Cigars

Knives and Cigars

Click Here to Separate Between Cigar Reviews and Knife Discussions

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Jericho Hill: A Review by Chief

So to start off this is a fairly new cigar that was released in 2014 by Crowned Heads. The Jericho Hill.

Wrapper: San Andres

Binder: Nicaragua


Filler: Nicaragua


Average Price: $10


Size: 4 1/2 in by 42 RG







Doing some research on how the Jericho Hill name came to be I found that it was apparently inspired by none other than Johnny Cash. He performed live at Folsom prison and the name came from the arresting sherrif who captures Willy Lee in the song. There is some backstory on the name which is interesting because I have always been a fan of Johnny Cash and it is very cool in my opinion that Johnny Cash influenced the name of this Cigar.

So lets get into the review.

Looking at the Cigar: The wrapper is beautiful. There are no visible veins and the construction is perfect. No wrapper damage and a nice toothiness.

The Band: I love this band. It is so simple yet very elegant. It is a gold color with black and the words Jericho Hill are seperated by a shield. I love the simplicity of this band very much.







Dry Puff: I notice tobacco with a hint of chocolate on the dry puff. If you smell the wrapper it is very noticeabley chocolate.

I used a punch to cut this cigar. It made for a perfect draw. Not to loose but just enough resistance to make it very enjoyable. I then toasted with a dual flame butane lighter and lit.





Beginning the SmokeThe first few puffs are when you really begin to notice the chocolate flavors. The flavors along with it are spice mainly and cream. There are hints of floral notes and wood. About half an inch in and the flavors have remained relativly the same with chocolate and spice being the major notes.

Almost an inch in and the ash seems to have a little bit of trouble holding on. The flavors have remained the same with sweet chocolate and spice and hints of floral and wood. The cigar is very creamy making it an easy smoke. I went ahead and knocked the ash off at this point so that it didn't fall in my lap like the ash seems to always do. I know some of you probably know my pain in that aspect.

Continuing on, a flavor that has been here from the beginning is chocolate. It seems to be the most prominant followed by the spice. Now in my opinion this workes very well together. The spice and chocolate are underlined by the notes of wood and floral. The creaminess is still present and seems to be mingling with the chocolate and spice. Very well I might add.

I am almost to the band at this point and the flavors have stayed pretty much the same with chocolate and spice taking turns at who is going to be most prominant. It isn't something that really affects the overall enjoyment of the cigar and I feel it adds to the cigar. At this point I have had no problems from this cigar when it comes to construction. No breaks or unravelling which is a big plus.

I went ahead and took the band off at this point because it was getting a little to close. The band came off very cleanly and to me that is very enjoyable.

Moving on. The flavors have not changed with the exception of the switching between chocolate and spice. The woodiness and floral notes have stepped up a little but have not overcome the other flavors. Still a very smooth and creamy smoke.

So getting down to about half an inch left of the cigar and I have noticed that the chocolate has now given way to the spice with it now being the main flavor. Which is by no means a bad thing. I really enjoy a good spicy cigar. The chocolate is still present just not as strong as it once was.

Getting to the end and the flavors have not changed much throughout. It did get a little strong close to the end which happens to a lot of cigars I have found. Again, not a bad thing.

I have really enjoyed this cigar and look forward to smoking more. If you have not tried the Jericho Hill yet I suggest giving it a shot. If you enjoy Crowned Heads or San Andres wrappers I really think you will love this cigar. It is very enjoyable and well made.





Some ending notes here. The pictures I have on here did not turn out as well as I had hoped. I am going to work on getting better at pictures as well as the reviews. If you have any suggestions or concerns please feel free to let me know. If you don't like the way I have done this review let me know. I am new to the written review side of cigars so any advice will be welcome. I will continue to try to get better and might even change up the look of the reviews and how I do them. I hope y'all enjoyed this and I look forward to the next time. Take care and keep smokin.

-Chief

No comments: